Crazy Faith

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." ~Hebrews 11:1 Hey Guys! Welcome to the blog! This blog is to describe our journey on our crazy leap of faith! Get ready to join the rollercoaster ride, and see how God can take two very ordinary people and completely reshape them and mold them to completely trust in Him in ALL things!

Name:
Location: Pineville, KY

I'm originally from CA, consider my hometown to be Shelbyville, KY but am currently residing in Pineville, KY. I love hanging out with my kiddos and Dan, the city, the ocean, taking hiking trips in the mountains, being around my closest friends, and watching a good chick flick! More than anything though, I love praising and worshiping our Savior Jesus Christ. It is a mystery to me, why He chooses and wants to use me?!?! He is so amazing!

Friday, December 4, 2009

My Dream?????

Ever since I was 17, I had a dream to be a missionary. I have always felt the calling so strong in my life, but it wasn't His timing. I am learning new things, stories that I have never heard about the mission field, that quite honestly terrify me and bring me to tears.

Dan had a Tribal Missionary come to Chapel this week, and Dan shared with me some of what the missionary shared:

*Please note: This is the Tribal Mission Field, it may or may not be like this everywhere. If God is calling you to missions, please don't be discouraged, just aware.

There are absolutely NO doctors, hospitals, or medicine anywhere around. Now, I know we all know that. But what I'm about to tell you, will bring you to tears. When you have children of your own, and you know God is calling you into some sort of missions - it frightens you.
This missionary has two sons, ages 8 and 4. The four year old little boy caught what is known as Bone Breaking Fever. It's some sort of an illness that is in tribes. One Tribal Man described it like this, "The first few days, I thought I was going to die. After the first few days, I wish I were dead." This little four year old boy, all he would do is lie on the floor and cry. His parents had no doctor to take him to, no medicine to give their little boy, nothin'. Just prayers, and faith in God. Talk about learning how to trust in Him completely!! Could you imagine though? Imagine your little one, or if you don't have one yet, think of a younger sibling, niece, nephew, grandchild. Hurting, wanting help, but you can't do anything to help them.
The missionary's son survived, but I can't imagine picturing my own Zachary or Nicholas suffering in that way and not being able to do anything for them.

There was another missionary family in the tribal area. You see, missionary's have to take malaria pills, so that they will not catch the disease. They even have to give these pills to their children. When they do that, they are sacrificing their lives. Taking these pills shortens the life span by years. One two year old got a hold of the bottle and overdosed. The parents had to just hold their precious baby for three hours until the Lord finally took him. Imagine again, no Poison Control Center to call, no hospital, just watch your baby die.

How was I so naive?

Now think of this:
The Tribal Missionary held up a rolled up scroll type of thing. He called it his sad list. When he let go of it and let it roll, it went from one end of the chapel to the other. It was a list of all the tribes that have never heard the name of Jesus Christ. If I remember correctly, it was something like 400,000 tribes have never heard His name or the wonderful Gospel.

We have a job to do Christians! It may mean sacrificing, but how great was Jesus' sacrifice on the cross! Should we not sacrifice for Him? I think not!

All this said, I have some news:
This March, God willing, Dan and I will be going on our first Mission Trip! We've turned in our applications, and are in a lot of prayer and preparation for it. Our next step will be getting our Passports, which are $140.00 each. We don't have an extra $280.00 just lying around, but I know God is ABLE! And if this is His will, He will provide. I have absolutely no doubt in that! We will be going to Guatemala working in the orphanage and going into the jungle to save babies and children who are dieing from illness.

I am a bit scared. If you have the stomach, check out Google and type Guatemala Bugs. A brief description: A beetle the size of a kitten! I kid you not! As Dan and I were looking through the google pics, I almost had a reunion with my dinner and the toilet. I HATE BUGS!! You all know this about me! But, God did create them, so I'm praying a simple prayer that He will just keep them away from me!

We will be in Guatemala for a week and a half! I wonder though if I am ready? Ready spiritually and emotionally. I think I'll enjoy working in the orphanage, but I'm sure it'll be sad also. But I know God is preparing me. I'm really just seeking Him right now. I have to!

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:18 - 20

Please be in prayer for us as God prepares our hearts and minds for this trip. And that many will come to know Him!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

I will ask my chuch family to pray for you and yours!! And I will also keep those missionaries mentioned in prayer. Not everyone can do that!! God bless you and your husband as you venture on your calling!!

December 4, 2009 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

Nicole,

This is so awesome! Will the boys go with you? I'm so happy that you're getting to fulfill God's calling on your life. Scary and eye opening as it is you'll at least know what to expect going in. And a shorter stay will probably be best for you to ease in to it. We will hold you in prayer and I"m so excited as it draws near.

Love,
Devon

PS...passport expenses stink!!! Remember us talking about that before and you thought that you'd have to get a passport the first time you go and get your little girl in China???!!! Who knew it'd be so much sooner than that??!!!

December 5, 2009 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

Also, I think I have shared this blog with you before but it's a mom from AR who I read regularly. She is a stay at home mother but recently she and her husband did a mission trip to El Salvador. Click this link and read about her journey. Awe inspiring.

http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/search?q=el+salvador

December 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home